According to WordPress.org, the self-hosted WordPress infrastructure supports 35% of the websites on planet.
You read it correctly.
Ever since beginning in 2003, WordPress has undergone a paradigm shift. WordPress began as a blogging platform to suit the requirements of people who wanted to express their thoughts with the global community, but it has since grown into so considerably greater.
WordPress has risen to prominence over the decades, owing to its open and free nature, and has amassed some impressive statistics for its own.
And now, we’re going to be sharing the most excellent WordPress stats and information with you, which users can use to review content management systems in their decision making process.
General WordPress Statistics
- WordPress was founded in 2003 by Matt Mullenweg & Mike Little as an extension of the b2/cafelog blogging platform. WordPress is already 18 years old.
- WordPress is licensed under the GNU General Public License, which specifies how and when individuals can modify the open-source technology. This licensing serves as the foundation for the WordPress Bill of Rights. It has four liberties:
- WordPress must be capable of being used for many purposes.
- To be able to modify it to meet your requirements.
- Capability to bundle and distribute technologies to others.
- To be willing to communicate your customized content management system and functionalities (for example, extensions, templates, customized account manager interfaces, and so on) with users.
- Including the most current 2018 financial statements: The WordPress Foundation earned $13,296 in revenue, with contributions accounting for $11,178 of the total. However, its expenditure ($42,938) greatly surpassed its revenue. Word Camp ticketing revenues and sponsorship deals produced $4,631,214 for WordPress Community Participation. Meanwhile, costs for the same period reached $4,486,658.
- There are already 420 revisions of WordPress released to date. 37 of them have considered significant upgrades. Major versions occur approximately 4 to 5 months and include new consumer functionalities as well as development capabilities. Incremental updates are made available when required. Typically, they will address problems, repair loopholes, or implement minor changes to the technology.
- WordPress.org continues to remain free to install and use now. Additional fees are involved with developing a WordPress project; however, the content management system is not on the list.
- WordPress is now available in 196 language groups.
- From its early beginnings, the WordPress Foundation has received around 346,000 lines of coding.
WordPress Usage Statistics
- WordPress is now used by 62.4 percent of all websites developed using a CMS. WordPress websites account for 35.6 percent of all websites on the Internet, whether developed with or without a CMS.
- There seem to be 27,616,323 blog posts on the Web, and WordPress was used to generate 98 percent of such blogs.
- WordPress powers 48 percent of the top one million internet sites developed with a CMS. WordPress accounts for 74% of the leading 1 million websites developed with open technology that can be updated and shared, including WordPress.
WordPress Community Statistics
- The information is not clearly available whether WordPress has any employees or not. However, it does have a big Community Management staff that evaluates everything professionally. This group is made up of the following individuals:
– Matt Mullenweg is a co-founder.
– 5 developers in charge.
– Committers and fundamental development team.
– Assistance forum operators.
– Team in charge of paperwork
– Reviewers of the theme
– Reviewers of plugins
- With having popularity of wordpress and strong community demonstrated, it is probably reasonable to agree, according to Glassdoor Website, there are around 8,300 WordPress professionals available to hire.
- Knowing that there is constantly a request for fresh participants, the figure is certainly in the thousands. The Five for the Future project was founded in 2014 to motivate other firms to dedicate 5% of the existing workforce to WordPress development.
- Salary ranges appear to be between $15,000 and $140,000 per year, based on different sources.
- Workcamps are the locations they discover more concerning WordPress, meet like-minded people, and communicate with WordPress firms. Several of which were held in San Francisco in 2006.
- There seem to be approximately 1,660 clubs and 782,141 individuals that engage in these localized WordPress chapters.
- As of now, 1080 workcamps events have been accomplished in a single event in San Francisco.
WordPress Plugin Statistics
- There are presently 55,463 free extensions in the WordPress plugin library. Beyond WordPress, Website owners can discover free plugins, and therefore most plug-ins on creator websites are charged.
- Customization options plugins seem to be a hybrid of a plugin and a theme that allows WordPress users to automatically create web pages & add functionalities to them by utilizing a straightforward drag-and-drop styling editing.
There are still more than a dozen page builder plugins accessible, but only approximately 5 or so have been well as well as exceptionally highly.
- Customers might require to manually put sophisticated functionalities and performance into their webpages if WordPress plugins were not available. That is why they are such a popular technique to increase the functionality of a website. Unfortunately, there seems to be no clear victor in the category of “highest configured,” as the WordPress source ceases monitoring deployments at 5 million.
- Over 7,200 WordPress plugins are available on the CodeCanyon world market. Unfortunately, because many programmers offer updates to their free plugins on respective web pages, this figure is likely to be underestimated.
WooCommerce Usage Statistics
- WooCommerce, the leading eCommerce plugins and a WordPress set of tools, was developed in 2008 by 3 WordPress admirers.
- 3,876,748 eCommerce web pages use the WooCommerce plugin.
- The plugin has been downloaded approximately 83,000,000 times to date and supports roughly 28% of all e-commerce websites.
- WooCommerce is not a self-contained eCommerce infrastructure like its competitors; therefore, it enables it to be much more adaptable in its application. In the perspective of how many WordPress websites are WooCommerce equipped, which is 16.4 percent.
WordPress Security Statistics
- More than 17,333 WordPress plugins had not been updated in the last 2 years. This implies that the vast majority of extensions remain unsubstantiated, potentially exposing WordPress consumers to danger.
- With several people still implementing obsolete WordPress infrastructure, businesses risk their businesses and customers. In 2019, obsolete CMS technologies were responsible for 49 percent of breached WordPress sites on the internet.
- As of this publication, just 34.9 percent of WordPress websites had been updated to the latest version. Most of the others are running obsolete WordPress editions which are no more protected and are insecure.
- Sucuri revealed their breached website danger analysis, which was informed on a survey of 60,299 recovered internet sites, over 98 million Site Check inspections, as well as an investigation of 170,827,313 targeted attacks.
94 percent of all attacks were found on WordPress internet sites. The additional justification why WordPress safety should be emphasized.
- Whereas the WordPress professional continues to work aggressively to make its ecosystem safe but there are almost 18,203 issues were discovered in recent days..
WordPress, the world’s most popular content management system, has made an undeniable impression mainly on the digital environment, and it’s not going to stop anytime soon. Every year, it grows, improves, and caters to much more web designers.
With this large community engaging in the mission behind the whole open-source, extremely versatile, 100 percent adaptable, and economical technology.
We can only aspire that the new releases of WordPress outperform our demands and address the severe security flaws impacting system consumers.